- Higher Initital Cost over Raised Beds and Hydroponics
- Weight. Minimum size home system is 250 gallon for fish, 250 gallon for plants. 500 gallon of water weighs 2 tons and not all that suitable for apartment patios or rooftop.
- Safety. Water and kids can be a dangerous and deadly combination.
- Climate & Lighting
- Climate Control. Raising fish in northern climates can be problemic considering the fish don’t like frozen water. Climate control “solutions” add a complexity than many people just don’t want to deal with.
- Lighting. Raising fish in northern climatesbe problemic considering the fish don’t like frozen water. Climate control “solutions” add a complexity than many people just don’t want to deal with.
- Goverment regulation of “fish raising” is particularly more stringent that farming, in particular with regards to what type of fish you can raise. Usually not an issue with mainstream varieties but it could be an issue. for you to use in your
Advantages of Aquaponics,
- Speed, Yield, Good Economics. Simply because the water is high in oxygen and nutrients, most systems grow plants twice as fast and highly productive on a per square foot basis. Lettuce takes only about 29 days with these systems (60 days normal)
- Other There is lot of “new things” that need to be done but there is not (a) weeding (b) fertilizing or soil cultivation (c) soil pest (d) use of toxic pesticides and chemicals.
- 90% less time and 70% “energy” (or some would say) It is a fact though that, smartly designed systems can take most of the hard work and time out of the equation. Home system you spend only minutes in daily maintenance, instead of hours.